Topic Options
#1373 - 03/27/11 10:29 PM SexSmartFilms.com
kait08 Offline
stranger

On sexsmartfilms.com where you watch commercials from other countries: A lot of them are educating viewers about AIDS, prevention, and promoting condom companies. While I was watching them, I found it interesting how every commercial was sexualized. For example, in the United States we see KY commercials that show a couple on a bed fully clothed. In the commercials for the other countries, they have no problem showing a penis.

I didn't know if anyone else had noticed how those cultures differ greatly from our own.

Edited by Dr. Caron (04/19/12 12:06 AM)

#1556 - 04/04/11 12:46 PM Re: SexSmartFilms.com [Re: kait08]
asaspades90
Unregistered

It's funny that you mention that they have no problem showing a penis in other countries where, in the United States, showing a blurred out penis on the television is considered obscene. And following up on them being fully clothed in bed, does anyone else ever find it odd that most of the sex in the direct media is portrayed with the couples having clothes on? I don't know about the rest of you guys but unless I'm in a rush or am just that horny, I usually get naked before sex.. just saying. It seems like other countries in the world portray the "real" sexual settings much better than we do in America.

#1629 - 04/07/11 10:07 PM Re: SexSmartFilms.com [Re: kait08]
latina4d1 Offline
stranger

When I read this post it made me think about the video that was shown in Europe to little kids that wouldn't even ever be shown to teenagers because its too "graphic" or "inappropriate". The U.S thinks thats by covering these body parts and important messages that all this problems will all disappear and its crazy to assume that that will ever happen. If you are watching ads on these channels then you are probably old enough to know what a penis is. And honestly not many people wear cloths during sex like asapades90 said unless its a quickie so its unrealistic. I think being open about it is the only way to help educate people.

#1649 - 04/09/11 08:40 PM Re: SexSmartFilms.com [Re: kait08]
wolf soldier Offline
stranger

I also find it really weird that the US is unable to show any kind of sexual situation on television, even if it is something as normal as a body part. Men have penises - that's not a secret, so why is it considered shameful to show it? We see commercials all the time where people merely TOUCHING each other is considered "graphic." Even commercials that aren't supposed to be inherently sexual are just unrealistic. For instance, mattress commercials have always stood out to me. They always show heterosexual couples "snuggling" in silky pajamas on a bed with no sheets that most often sits outside by their pool instead of in their bedroom. Personally, I've never met anyone who has a bed next to their pool. Most people put it in their bedrooms, where they have sex. If we just took the time to portray sex in a realistic fashion, I think we'd al be better off. We are miles behind other countries, which is sort of embarrassing if you consider how advanced we are in other ways. People have body parts. People have sex with their body parts. WHY is this so hard to talk acknowledge?!

#1693 - 04/10/11 09:38 PM Re: SexSmartFilms.com [Re: kait08]
MelAlb10 Offline
stranger

I always think of America as one of the most sexually open countries until I read and see how we aren't, at all. I really find it weird that what is considered sexually appropriate to show young kids in other countries is not considered appropriate to show old teens in America. If America wants the teens and young kids to be correctly sexually educated we need to start showing what sex is really about and not covering it up, even with commercials. People are going to get angry over anything that is shown on television. Why not just show what is considered "inappropriate" on television and let the people complain. It'll eventually go away and our country would get used to the new sexually exposed commercials.

#1700 - 04/10/11 10:36 PM Re: SexSmartFilms.com [Re: kait08]
kait08 Offline
stranger

Under the "what to do about our sex education" topic, people were discussing how commercials would be a good way to start getting people more open to sexual topics. It is evident, from the statistics in class, that these types commercials are working for other countries. I think America needs to take a page from their book and start airing similar commercials. It would definitely take getting used to and a lot of people would find them inappropriate, but they could also do a lot of good.

Edited by Dr. Caron (04/19/12 12:37 AM)

#1762 - 04/12/11 09:24 PM Re: SexSmartFilms.com [Re: kait08]
asaspades90
Unregistered

When going through these commercials, did anyone else notice some of the tactics they used? For example, Honk Kong's commercial had nice peaceful music and was embracing condoms, but at the end of the commercial it said "Obey the national safety law, wear a condom". Though they are trying to seem easygoing about it, they are still using a sort of scare tactic when telling people why they should use a condom. Also, South Africa and Kenya's commercials were very intense and near horrifying. They should be when you look at the rate of HIV in Africa compared to the rest of the world, but I think it is going to take a lot more than commercials at this point to fix all of the diseases over in that continent.

#1803 - 04/15/11 07:39 AM Re: SexSmartFilms.com [Re: kait08]
paddleharder Offline
stranger

I think there are a lot of different tactics that could be taken. To each their own. Each country seems to be embracing their own style/concern. It seems that in America, the few times that you'll ever see a condom commercial on TV, it will be a satirical play about sex to make people laugh, then they will flash the condom maker's logo and say, "Practice safe sex". Its usually just not enough. It seems like even Hong Kong South Africa, and Kenya are ahead of the US in effectiveness of their condom commercials

Moderator:  CHF351 TA Jeri, Dr. Caron