Topic Options
#18910 - 02/11/16 07:33 PM Not a Choice
buttstuff69 Offline
stranger

So I was surfing the web and after clicking through multiple pages looking at various videos and quizzes I came across a web page that was titled, "Watch these straight people answer a question gay people have been asked for years." I was a bit curious so I clicked on the link and it was basically a thread of questions people who were straight were asked "do you think people were born gay or choose to be gay?" I scrolled down and most people said it depended on their upbringing, or it was a choice or they just didn't know. But then the questioner asked a man, "did you choose to be straight?" And they said, "that's a good call, I think I was just born straight." It was interesting because once they looked at it from their perspective, they saw it in a whole other light. So why do people have a hard time accepting the fact that there are other sexual orientations? Maybe it's because they aren't looking at it from other point of views... Or maybe they just don't find it important enough? Everyone's opinion is different, and no ones way of thinking is the same. So maybe there isn't just one answer to this question...

#19329 - 02/28/16 10:02 PM Re: Not a Choice [Re: buttstuff69]
cinnamon210 Offline
stranger

I think that question is extremely difficult to answer i think that it is a little by choice and a little on how you were born that way.

#19358 - 02/29/16 12:26 PM Re: Not a Choice [Re: buttstuff69]
DamianCummings Offline
stranger

I really don't have an educated opinion on this subject but from personal experience and from what I have seen I would probably say that it is not a choice. I don't really believe that the way you were brought up can influence your sexual orientation.

#19369 - 02/29/16 08:26 PM Re: Not a Choice [Re: buttstuff69]
Elle Woods Offline
stranger

I was very curious about this question, and asked my friend who is gay this question a couple years ago. He responded with "I've just always known. I've never felt attracted to girls, it was just something inside of me that wouldn't let me like girls the way I like boys." He continued with "I don't know how to explain it, it's hard to explain unless you've lived through it." This feeling is difficult for many to understand, and explain, however I think we need to try to be empathetic no matter what their answer is. Everyone has their own opinion about this, however the only correct answer comes from the individual who has lived the experience first hand.

#19379 - 03/01/16 03:19 PM Re: Not a Choice [Re: buttstuff69]
DWelch Offline
stranger

For sure we are all born our sexual orientation. There is no "deciding" because if there were, gay people would not exist because honestly life is just easier straight. You would not have to worry about people judging you. Especially a long time ago, or even sometimes today, people wouldn't have to worry about be murdered if they could just chose to be straight.

#21043 - 04/08/17 04:01 PM Re: Not a Choice [Re: buttstuff69]
Mountainbird96 Offline
stranger

From what I have observed, sexual orientation and who you are attracted to is not something one chooses. Nobody chooses what gender they are attracted to. Nobody can help with you they are attracted to. I can't choose to be gay because I am not attracted to girls. Even though I am straight, I did not choose to be. I believe that attraction is the internal instinctual feeling that you have had since you were born.

#21231 - 04/23/17 02:03 PM Re: Not a Choice [Re: buttstuff69]
HughJackman Offline
stranger

That is a great question, considering being straight is a sexual orientation, why do a lot of straight people have problems with other sexual orientations? I think this is because the majority of people are heterosexual, therefore they think that anything that isn't heterosexual is weird and out of the ordinary. While I, an intellectual, realize that there is a huge diversity in just about everything in life, including sexual orientation. So I think the root of homophobia stems from a common feature of human nature: the majority attempting to dominate the minority. With that being said, I believe that one day people will drop this horrible idea that being difference is unacceptable and homophobia will finally be at rest and not disturb anyone anymore.
For the last time singing off,
Hugh Jackman aka The Wolverine

Moderator:  CHF351 TA Hayli, Dr. Caron