Topic Options
#18807 - 02/07/16 10:09 PM Masculinity
majorinrolls Offline
stranger

From day 1 we are told from those we know/ don't know how to act and behave so that we come across as "manly". Those who break these boundaries tend to get labeled as gay or feminine, although less so now than times before. My question is: If you never felt that you would be judged, what are things you would do/would've done differently?

#21139 - 04/16/17 03:01 PM Re: Masculinity [Re: majorinrolls]
mintychicken Offline
stranger

I think I would definitely played with more "girly" toys. Even when I was five I was aware of the difference between boy and girl toys and how they determined your masculinity. I enjoyed hot wheels and stuff but also I wanted to play with a Bratz doll dude and I couldn't. I think I would also wear more pink, maybe wear some make up when I had really bad acne.

#21183 - 04/18/17 02:43 PM Re: Masculinity [Re: majorinrolls]
Ivas Vankenhoff Offline
stranger

This is a hard question because my parents tried my hardest to raise me to be a good "person", not a good "boy", so I was definitely not of the majority in the case of being raised masculine or feminine. I think some attitude traits of my father's that included a "matter-of fact" slightly misogynistic tone when communicating rolled into me in an even slighter way, but I often catch myself doing that. So if I could change anything about my raising, it would be my communication skills and social stereotypes. mintychicken referenced wearing pink, and it's funny because as I've matured I've made a point to wear more pink and do what I want when it comes to clothing. I think it shows my maturity to be gender-neutralized in my dress.

#21205 - 04/20/17 03:36 PM Re: Masculinity [Re: majorinrolls]
whodoyouknowhere Offline
stranger

I honestly believe that I wouldn't be any different. In my family there are more women than men so there was never a reason for me to need to act more masculine. In terms of my surroundings the people around me were very accepting towards gay people so there was never any hate directed towards men that did feminine things.

#21244 - 04/23/17 08:43 PM Re: Masculinity [Re: majorinrolls]
patsfan535 Offline
stranger

Maybe I would dress a little differently, but today I think a lot of people are more accepting of less manly men. Hipsters where their tight jeans and that is now normal in all cultures.

Moderator:  CHF351 TA Jean, Dr. Caron