Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#5628 - 03/20/13 04:28 PM Re: Dowries [Re: iheartsexed]
BukkakeMaster Offline
stranger

It would be so much for the women of India if dowries were outlawed. As long as dowries exist, they will face constant hatred and treatment. I think it is time they realize how negative this is for the people there and start doing something about it

#7903 - 02/08/14 02:12 PM Re: Dowries [Re: iheartsexed]
TraveleratHeart7 Offline
stranger

Wow I never knew this was going on. I was so surprised when watching the video. I have seen how lavish Indian weddings are and know they must be expensive but to kill off women in general thats a little insane. If the person who is running India is a women, wouldn't you think she would do more to stop this?

#20688 - 02/27/17 04:32 PM Re: Dowries [Re: iheartsexed]
TrustTheProcess Offline
stranger

I knew that it was illegal for ultrasound for sex determination because of the cross cultural perspectives book we had to read, but I did not know that the situation in India was this extreme. I wonder if the dowries will ever be dropped so more girls won't be aborted especially with the increasing shortage of women.

#20745 - 03/03/17 09:23 AM Re: Dowries [Re: iheartsexed]
MissLulu Offline
stranger

This tradition has also turned into a financial contest where the family shows off how much wealth they have by providing lavish dowries. But because of this, it can cause huge financial setbacks for the family which can foster hatred, discontent and blame towards their daughters. This thought process encourages the family to strive for boys and if they do have a girl and allow her to grow, the mentality continues of girls being more of a burden. It's a vicious cycle that is not something easy to break because it is so embedded in the culture.

#21202 - 04/19/17 07:58 PM Re: Dowries [Re: iheartsexed]
mobs97 Offline
stranger

I think it's important to note that there are many progressive families in India who do not believe in this system, but it is upsetting that a vast majority still do. I have a close friend from India who's mother is one of three girls. Typically, when a girl gets married they are no longer supposed to visit their families, but their family and the families that they married into are quite progressive and allow them to maintain contact with both sides of the family.

#21247 - 04/23/17 09:43 PM Re: Dowries [Re: iheartsexed]
Maitai28 Offline
stranger

I was not aware that this was still happening. As a female it's definitely weird to think about being pregnant and not being able to have an ultrasound legally to let me know what was going on. It's awful to think that if I was born there, there is a good chance I wouldn't be alive.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  CHF351 TA Lauren, Dr. Caron