Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#20435 - 02/16/17 09:52 AM Re: Personal Hygiene [Re: BananaHammock]
umaine-mbjt Offline
stranger

Personal hygiene is an extremely important part of sex eduction. Knowing your own body is one thing, but if you don't know the steps to taking care of your own body then you might as well not even know about it. Personally, I don't recall learning personal hygiene in a school setting along the topic of sex education, but I did realize the importance of it at a very young age. I think if they are beginning to incorporate personal hygiene into sex eduction it is a great idea because it's just as important as knowing your body parts and their functions.

#20734 - 03/02/17 11:24 AM Re: Personal Hygiene [Re: BananaHammock]
dogmom106 Offline
stranger

I don't remember if personal hygiene was touched upon in my sex education, but I definitely think it should be included. Personal hygiene is just as important as other topics included in sex education, like HIV/AIDS, safe sex, contraception, etc. Knowing how to clean ourselves and how to check for certain lumps and bumps on our body is important. We need to know our body. By teaching the proper way to take care of ourselves will ensure a healthy lifestyle for all and lead to safer, cleaner sex lives. Some parents may not be comfortable discussing this with their children, so I agree that it should be included in sex education.

#21204 - 04/20/17 12:40 AM Re: Personal Hygiene [Re: BananaHammock]
gopats2017 Offline
stranger

In my sex ed classes, we were never told about women's hygiene. We focused on men's hygiene only, and how important it was for them to clean in and around their foreskin. I was never taught about cleaning my vagina, I just thought it was a given that you have to keep it clean, just like every other part of your body. It's important to wipe it well, wash it in the shower and just don't anything gross in it. You can definitely tell when you have not cleaned yourself for a few days because everything is nasty and smelly...so keep yourself clean!

#21249 - 04/23/17 10:03 PM Re: Personal Hygiene [Re: BananaHammock]
slothsex92 Offline
stranger

Hygiene wasn't discussed as part as sex ed. We went over using deodorant and showering more often because of puberty, however, we never discussed other things such as vaginal health. As far as I remember, we never discussed foreskin care, how to wash your vagina and how soap is often harmful, how changing a tampon/pad every few hours is important to avoid infection, and what is normal and abnormal as far as discharge and smells. Wiping front to back was never even mentioned which is extremely important for proper hygiene. These things are extremely important to me because without someone teaching them to teens, they are left to just figure it out, often by their own experiences when it could just be avoided in the first place.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  CHF351 TA Jean, Dr. Caron