Topic Options
#20793 - 03/17/17 05:07 PM Sympathy for the Victim
tarheels50 Offline
stranger

I had a conversation with my guy friend the other day about sexual assault on campus. The Columbia mattress woman came up in our conversation and instead of sympathizing for the woman who had been raped, my friend brought up how the allegations must have "ruined the perpetrators life". He expressed that a girls allegation can ruin a males likelihood with one sentence. I thought about this and then thought about people in our mainstream media. Donald Trump. Bill Cosby. Casey Affleck. Donald Trump has double digit sexual assault allegations against him, and he was elected President. Bill Cosby had countless women come out with rape stories, yet he was still featured in Kanye West's latest music video. And Casey Affleck had multiple women speak out about sexual harassment and assault allegations, yet he just won Actor of the year.

Many times, accusing someone of sexual assault actually ruin the victims life. They are painted as a "slut", asked how much they had to drink, or deemed a "liar" looking for attention. And even then, these acts are difficult to impossible to prove and adjudicate. I think we need to call these people out and work towards creating a society where people jump to the victims aid, and encourage people to come forward. What does everyone think?

#20811 - 03/20/17 02:45 PM Re: Sympathy for the Victim [Re: tarheels50]
sbaxta95 Offline
stranger

I agree 100%. Our society is a do not get raped society instead of do not rape and this is proof. Our president of the united states has been caught on tape saying he grabs girls by the pussy... and the allegations against casey Affleck did not affect him at all. It's so upsetting how people usually blame the victims or don't believe the victims.

#20820 - 03/21/17 09:13 AM Re: Sympathy for the Victim [Re: tarheels50]
SP4D10 Offline
stranger

I completely agree as well. It really bothers me that people with money or people with fame don't seem to care about not only the law but others feelings.They seem to think they can get away with anything. I also think its ridiculous that women are called names like slut and whore but men get high fives when they tell their friends how many partners they have been with. Calling into question how much a women has had to drink is something that comes up frequently but weather or not they were drinking, no means no…right? Men seem to think us women won't remember or won't come forward and often times we don't because we are embarrassed or think we will be called names like liar. Speaking of the media, it seems like men raping women don't face jail time or get a slap on the wrist while men are serving years in jail for selling or having weed….how does that make any sense? I don't understand our society or why our justice system is so messed up.

#20877 - 03/26/17 09:07 PM Re: Sympathy for the Victim [Re: tarheels50]
CinderellaGirl Offline
stranger

I absolutely agree with this as well people with money feel as though they can escape from anything. I also feel as though schools who have a lot of money for an example the Stanford case that they school paid money to make the Turner case be less publicized because they did not want their school to be known as that kind of shame.

#21261 - 04/24/17 12:11 PM Re: Sympathy for the Victim [Re: tarheels50]
pandaluva Offline
stranger

I definitely agree that the victim is the one who should be taken into consideration. But as a patriarchal society, many people feel sympathy for the rapist which is completely wrong. This is why many women are scared to come forward and admit what happened to them.

Moderator:  CHF351 TA Delaney, Dr. Caron