Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#20513 - 02/19/17 08:51 PM Re: 50 Shades [Re: harrytwatter]
jbothh18 Offline
stranger

I believe the books are great and I personally love them. I believe that everyone has their own beliefs on relationships and enjoys sex in their own way. Some like it to be male dominant well others like it to be more equal. I think this is already accepted and the series makes it more socially acceptable.

#20544 - 02/20/17 02:41 PM Re: 50 Shades [Re: harrytwatter]
WalterWhite69 Offline
stranger

Loc: Maine
So I saw 50 shades darker on valentines day with my girlfriends because we're all single woo! I never saw the first 50 shades, and personally I do not understand the hype at all... It was a good movie, I think the only parts I liked was when Christian was shirtless (oops!). But honestly it's just personal preference, some say the movie supports domestic abuse, some others are obsessed! I am in the median, I personally draw away from 50 shades though, way too much hype and sexual expectations of women in bed sorry.

#20613 - 02/26/17 12:15 PM Re: 50 Shades [Re: harrytwatter]
Bori Offline
stranger

I don't see why everyone is so in love with 50 Shades either. I also don't understand why some people say the movie supports domestic abuse. S&M and domination is a sexual preference for some people. Some women like that male dominance, it might be borderline violence but I feel that if her life isn't in danger and the feelings are mutual between both sexes then there isn't a problem.

#20645 - 02/26/17 08:52 PM Re: 50 Shades [Re: harrytwatter]
221B1701 Offline
stranger

I haven't read the books, but I've heard a lot about them. While I agree it opens a lot of sexual discussion, there's some poor BDSM etiquette - I had heard a safeword was outright ignored, but a quick google says "No, but -".

There is an imbalance of power (different from power exchange, which can be good BDSM, if it's safe, sane and consensual). There is a lot of Anastasia saying no - in a healthy BDSM relationship, that is where a slowing down and negotiation would occur. Christian, rather than negotiating, has a tendency to try and convince, manipulate, or coerce.

So I say it is over-hyped, because if people are taking these books as their jumping-off points for BDSM, that's dangerous.

#20897 - 03/27/17 06:33 PM Re: 50 Shades [Re: harrytwatter]
gingersnap Offline
stranger

I read the books when I was still pretty young and naive about sex. They really opened my eyes to all the different styles and activities that you can do during sex. Personally, I found them fascinating and am definitely open to the idea of trying out some of the stuff they did, although I have not yet.

#20904 - 03/28/17 11:30 AM Re: 50 Shades [Re: harrytwatter]
slitherysnake Offline
stranger

I personally enjoy the books and movies. There are many different sexual activities, and everyone has a personal preference. As long as you and your partner are communicating and on the same page, I see no problem with any of it. A safe word is necessary though.

#21263 - 04/24/17 12:58 PM Re: 50 Shades [Re: harrytwatter]
nastywoman Offline
stranger

I've watched the movie and I really liked it. Yes it is very forceful, but its also someones fantasy. They are a type of genre that many people like and only some like to admit it. In a way it does empower people to believe in their sexuality and explore everything thats out there.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  CHF351 TA Delaney, Dr. Caron